Friday, March 25, 2011

My Laptop Cover


Castaway t-shirts come in trash bags full from the curbs. Either lightly stained or faded, once cut into t-yarn that makes no difference. But often there’s nothing wrong with them at all.

I use the yarn to make potholders, small bags or pouches and even wrist bands. My attempt to make a larger bag ended up in a drawer because I made it to wide and it turned out too heavy to properly fit handles or a shoulder sling on it.

Then I found use for it when I needed protection for my work laptop. As I bring it to the office in a bag that hangs from my bike’s luggage carrier a trolley is useless for me and the shoulder bag that came with the laptop is too large to fit in the bicycle bag.

Though a bit too wide on the sides the height is just fine. T-yarn products are very durable. I’ve used my laptop cover for almost a year now and it shows no signs of wear yet.

If you want to make one of your own all you have to do is make a swatch and crochet around a chain in the number of stitches you’ve calculated. I used double crochet for this project and you will need roughly two large t-shirts.

If you want to find more information and tutorials about bag making with t-yarn or plarn take a look at RecycleCindy’s blog
Fitting the zipper in my bag was a hassle and it’s also after this project that I developed my trick to make it easier. Read about that in this old post.

4 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

I love it! The color combination is great too and it does look very durable...nice job!

Le-Chat said...

Hi Doris, how are you? Thanks for stopping by!

RecycleCindy said...

Your t-yarn laptop sleeve turned out wonderful. I love using the durable t-yarn for projects as it is so protective and makes a great holder. Thanks for the link and mention of my blog in your post. Great to hear from you and hope your are doing well.

Best wishes,
Cindy

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Nice work! I love the colors;)